The Cornea is an essential part of the eye which is responsible for accurate vision. It reflects just the right amount of light in a particular direction and results in a perfect view. The cornea is the sole reason that initiates the involuntary action of the eyelids that lets them close properly.
The cornea is made up of 5 different layers namely—Corneal Epithelium (outermost layer), Bowman’s layer, Corneal Stroma, Descemet’s Membrane, and Corneal Endothelium (Innermost layer). Since it is the most sensitive part, even a minor injury can lead to complications and complex eye problems like blurred vision, eye pain, light sensitivity, corneal scarring etc. Almost every vision center has corneal treatment in Delhi. However, it is always better to understand the source of damage so that enough precautions can be taken. Here’s a list of some common conditions that has effects on the cornea. These conditions are absolutely normal but if they persist, they can drastically affect the cornea.
- Common Allergies: Various factors like dust, molds, pollens, strong smoke or perfumes can cause eye allergies. A person may experience symptoms like itchiness, burning, watery discharge, light sensitivity, and hazy vision. Using over the counter eye drops, application of cool compressors or by eliminating the source of allergens, you can protect your eyes from any kind of discomfort.
- Dry Eyes: One of the most common eye problems in winters—dry eyes causes severe pain in the eyes. The role of tears is to keep the eyes moist and remove all the dirt and irritants through tears. In the case of dry eyes, the person may experience a burning sensation, redness and hazy vision in the eye. This is generally caused due to excessive use of contact lenses, exposure to smoke or allergens. The treatment also depends on the cause of allergy. Warm compresses, eye-drops, Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL) and modifications in the environment help avoid this problem.
- Infections: Since cornea doesn’t have any blood vessels, it struggles to fight against infections and hence falls victim to conditions like conjunctivitis and corneal ulcers. Apart from this virus infections like herpes simplex and herpes zoster causes itching, swelling and pain, and discharge from the eye. Creams, antibiotics, and eye drops are the best treatments for eye infections.
- Shingles: Also known as Herpes Zoster, it is caused by varicella-zoster virus. The virus generally remains inactive in the central nervous system but once active, it causes blisters and rashes which are called as shingles. This causes decreased corneal sensitivity. Oral anti-viral treatment has to be followed to counteract the problem. In the case of severe pain, it is advised to visit corneal eye treatment hospital Delhi wherein qualified eye specialists offer the best eye treatment.
- Eye Injuries: Injuries like superficial scratches can cause light sensitivity and tearing. In case of deep injuries, there is a huge possibility of vision loss. Hence, eye protection is highly important.
Since the cornea is a highly sensitive yet important part of the eye, simple conditions like dirt and dust can cause allergies that can put your eye health at a risk. Therefore, one should give special attention to the eyes and be extra cautious while exposing our eyes to the outside world.