As per WHO data, approximately 82% blind people are aged 50 years and above. It is a universal fact that with ageing, the vision starts declining and become susceptible to vision related issues such as presbyopia, cataract, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy. Other common age-related eye problems like reduced pupil size, dry eyes, loss of peripheral vision, decreased color vision, vitreous detachment is more likely to occur once you cross the age of 40. Hence, it is of utmost importance to take care of your eyes right from the beginning in order to maintain a good eyesight even after 40 years of age.
Here are a few tips that can help you maintain a healthy vision.
- Routine Eye Exams:Regular eye check-ups are a necessity especially after age 40.
- Healthy Diet:A diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants are good for the health of the eyes.
- Suitable Eyeware: Once you are diagnosed with a special eye issue, make sure to use specified eyeware and spectacles to control the eye problem right there. Always protect your eyes while going out in the dust to prevent infections.
- Keep a Check on Oral Medications:In case you are on any kind of medically prescribed drug, always inform your ophthalmologist who would keep a tab on the side effects (if any) of those medicines.
- Regular Health Check-ups:Medical condition like Diabetes, Blood pressure, Chikungunya etc. can affect your eyes in the long term. Regular health check-ups will let you have a fair idea about the severity of the disease and this way you can make amendments in your diet and lifestyle that will protect your eyes from these disease related eye issues.
- Maintain Good Lighting Conditions:Make sure that you have adequate lighting while reading, writing or doing things that require concentration. Avoid overhead lighting while studying.
- Do Not Ignore The Symptoms: Early detection of the problem will result in early intervention and hence, do not ignore symptoms like pain/redness in the eye, the appearance of eye floaters etc. Visit your doctor immediately and get an eye check-up done.
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices:Avoid smoking, tobacco, and alcohol. Try to inculcate eye-exercises in your daily routine and do not skip an 8 hour sleep. Try to take a break from your desktop and laptop. This way you will not put a strain on your eyes.
- Know Your Family History: Try to have an in-depth information about various health related issues in your family. As some issues are genetic and put you at a higher risk of eye diseases, a good knowledge of the issue will save you from the severe eye problems since you can take precautions from the beginning.
Include Multivitamins in Your Routine: Apart from a healthy diet, your body requires additional vitamins and minerals to maintain a healthy eyesight. Therefore, make it a habit to include multivitamins in your routine.