List of 10 Comprehensive Eye Tests You Must Undergo
Regular eye check-ups are one of the basic practices that makes sure that you have happy and healthy eyes. Unless you keep a tab on your vision and the problems related to it, you cannot start off an effective treatment to counteract eye problems. There are certain basic eye tests like reading an eye chart to diagnose a perfect vision or many other complex eye tests like investigating the retina, cornea and other small parts of the eye that reflect the exact condition of the eye. Depending upon the complexity of the test, it may take more than an hour to conduct the entire procedure. Here’s a complete guide to some eye tests that should be conducted frequently to keep a check on the eyesight.
- Visual Acuity Test:The test is one of the basic eye exams used to check the sharpness of the vision. In this test, you are asked to read an eye chart in which the words are scribbled in various fonts & sizes. The result gives a fair idea about the distance visual acuity and hand-held acuity to measure your near vision.
- Colorblindness Test:To detect colorblindness, this test is of utmost importance. The results reveal the color vision deficiencies and other eye problems that might affect you in the later years of life.
- Cover Test:The cover test is very useful to detect strabismus, binocular vision, amblyopia, eye strain etc. It is one of the basic tests wherein the doctor will ask you to focus on an object placed nearby and cover each of your eyes alternately. The procedure is repeated while you try to concentrate on an object placed at a distance.
- Ocular Motility:The test is used to determine the movement of the eyes in terms of speed and accuracy. This also includes testing of smooth eye movement wherein the ophthalmologist may ask you to follow the movement of a light or some other source. To check the quickness, you may be asked to move your eyes between two different objects placed at a small distance. Issues related to eye movement can cause strain on the eye, readability, sports vision etc.
- Stereopsis Test:It is a depth perception test and is also conducted to detect appreciation of the 3D objects. The test is generally conducted to detect ocular motility and strabismus. There are almost six different types of stereopsis.
- Slit lamp Biomicroscopic Examination:The test is conducted to have a thorough review of the anterior portion of the eye like eyelids, eyelashes, conjunctiva, cornea, and iris etc. During the test, the patient is made to sit in a chair with their chin and forehead resting on a beam. The doctor will then put eye drops containing fluorescein that wash away tears and make the pupil dilate. A slit lamp having high-intensity light is used to examine the eye. Eye problems like Macular degeneration, Retinal detachment, Cataract, Cornea problem etc. can be easily detected.
- Gonioscopy:This eye test is conducted to check the drainage system in the eye. A special contact lens prism is placed on the surface of the eye to visualise the angle and inspect the drainage system.